It’s recipe day! HOORAY!
So Bianca was sweet enough to pass on a sugar free Red Velvet Cupcake recipe on to me that she found over at Mommy D’s Kitchen. I tried them out this week, but didn’t have enough red food coloring so they look kinda pink, haha! They were good, but I think I’ll experiment a couple more times. 🙂
Wanna know what else we had this week? An old favorite that we used to make all the time while living in China. Chicken stir fry. Loooove it!
1 Green Bell Pepper
1 Red Bell Pepper
1 orange or yellow Bell pepper
1 large Vidalia onion
1 large carrot, peeled
1 head broccoli
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
granulated chicken bullion
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1. Start two cups rice so it will be done by the time you finish everything else.
2. Julienne bell peppers, onion, and carrot. Cut stalks off broccoli.
3. Dice chicken into small ½” pieces and sprinkle paprika, chicken bullion and seasoned salt on top of chicken.
4. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into wok and add broccoli. Let cook on low heat until broccoli is tender. Add carrots and sauté 3 minutes. Add bell peppers and sauté 3 minutes. Add onions and sauté until tender. Pour veggies into serving bowl and cover to keep warm.
5. Pour 1 tbsp olive oil into wok and add chicken. Cook until browned.
Recipe by my mom, Pam M.
We had breakfast for dinner again this week. Eggs, bacon, homemade bread, and biscuits with sausage gravy. Good stuff for sure…
1 lb turkey sausage
1/4 cup all purpose flour
2 cups milk
salt and black pepper to taste
Brown sausage in saucepan, breaking up until well done. Using slotted spoon remove sausage, leaving behind the grease. Add flour and whisk together. Gradually stir in milk. Continue to whisk until you get a gravy-like consistency. Season with salt and pepper and add sausage back to gravy. Serve over biscuits and enjoy!
Also had some tasty enchiladas with red sauce this week. Shockingly, the boys didn’t notice the lack of meat. Normally they comment on meatless meals, but I snuck this one past them! 🙂
2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
1 (4oz) can chopped green chilies, undrained
2 tbsp dried minced onion
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp dried oregano
1 clove garlic, minced
8 flour tortillas
1 small onion, diced
1 can fat free refried beans
1/2 cup fat free cheese (or soy cheese in my case)
1 small jar taco sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a small baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
2. Combine first 7 ingredients and puree together. Then place in a saucepan. Heat over medium heat until heated through, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in pan sprayed with nonstick spray, cook onion over medium heat until it begins to brown, about 2 minutes. In a small dish, combine onion with refried beans, taco sauce, and taco seasoning until mixed well.
4. Heat tortillas in the microwave until slightly warm. Lay tortillas flat and spread about 2 tbsp enchilada sauce on each one. Sprinkle cheese in the center of each tortilla. Evenly distribute bean mixture in the center of each tortilla. Wrap tortillas up tightly and place them in the baking dish, seam sides down. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over the enchiladas.
5. Bake in oven for about 10 minutes, until enchiladas are hot. Remove dish from the oven and sprinkle shredded cheese over enchiladas. Return to the oven and bake for about 5 minutes, until cheese has melted. Top with sour cream and scallions if desired.
Enchilada sauce inspired by Lynn’s Kitchen.