My cousin is getting married tomorrow. He’s my closest cousin in age (six months younger than me) and my closest growing up. We put on plays for the family, bossed around our younger siblings, and were quite convinced that we would marry each other someday when we grew up. We were rather shocked at age 5 when we found out that we couldn’t marry each other. But we got over it and moved on. 😉
And now it’s time to talk food! It has been so nice out lately that we decided last night was the perfect night for some summer grillin’! I did my research and decided I wanted to try a recipe from The Kitchn using some tips from The Athlete’s Plate. It was a serious success. These will most definitely be our go-to burgers from now on!
6 slices turkey bacon
1 tsp bacon grease
2 lbs 80/20 ground chuck
1/2 small onion, finely chopped
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tsp soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
freshly ground pepper
6 slices of cheddar cheese
6 whole wheat kaiser buns
1/2 small onion, sliced and sauted
1 heart of romaine
ketchup, mustard, mayo
1. Fry bacon in skillet until crispy. Save 1 tsp bacon grease.
2. On clean counter or cutting board, form the ground beef into a 2-foot long snake use your thumb to make a deep trough in the center (see picture). Evenly spread or sprinkle the next five ingredients in the trough. Sprinkle with ground pepper.
3. Pinch the trough closed, then divide your snake into 6 equal portions. Gently pat them into 1 1/2 inch thick patties. Push a little well into the center of the meat, about an inch or two around and a quarter-inch deep (this ensures that the patty stays flat). Put patties in fridge while you wait for grill to heat up.
4. Prepare your grill to a high heat, add the patties, and grill for about 2 minutes on each side. Don’t push down on the patties! Gotta keep those juices inside. Then move them to a less hot part of the grill. Add cheese, close the grill and cook for about another two minutes.
5. Toast kaiser buns on the grill for 30 seconds, top with cheeseburgers, bacon, sauteed onion, tomato, lettuce, ketchup, mustard and mayo. Enjoy!