So just last week I shared with you guys about my goals to be healthier last year and how well those paid off. I’ve had a couple of people ask what this means now that I’m pregnant. Going into this pregnancy, I felt so incredibly healthy and fit and I think that has made a huge difference in the habits I’ve been able to carry on even when I felt so sick. So here are the main things:
1. Obviously I’m going to gain weight. Most likely more than the 18 pounds I lost (my doctor told me anything from 25-35 pounds would be a healthy weight gain for me in this pregnancy). But this doesn’t bother me in the least. Those extra pounds were just hanging around making me feel sluggish and unhealthy last year. This weight gain will be for a great cause!
2. My gym time looks a little different sometimes. I still shoot for an hour on the treadmill five days a week, but there are days when I can barely make it to 35 minutes before I’m just totally worn out. And I’ve let myself be okay with that. I mean, I’m growing a person. That’s hard work. 😉 The past week when I’ve started to feel better has meant that my gym time has been back to normal and that has felt great! And I’m finally back to getting 10,000 steps a day which makes my Fitbit happier with me.
3. I have been cleared to continue weight lifting by my doctor, but honestly… I haven’t been lifting. My body has been so worn out this first trimester that making it to the gym at all has been a feat some days. My doctor said since my body has been used to it in the past, it’s more than okay to start it up again in the second trimester if I wanted to wait until I was feeling better. So now that I’m feeling better I’m looking forward to adding weights back into my routine.
4. My doctor told me to switch to prenatal yoga and asked that I not do any poses that require being on my stomach (even in the first trimester). So for those who would like to see what yoga videos I’ve been doing lately, I have them saved on a Prenatal Yoga list. The very first video on there is one that I got from Amanda and it is so great! I’ve done about half the videos on that list and as I continue to do more videos I’ll delete ones I don’t like and add new ones I find. If you have recommendations for prenatal yoga or prenatal workout videos, I’d love to hear them!
5. I am so thankful that I taught myself to drink water and hydrate well last year. I had no idea how important drinking tons of water while pregnant was. So that has definitely been a bonus!
6. Ah the diet. Pretty much all food made me sick up until last week. What’s comical is that initially I thought this was a mind over matter thing. “Oh, I’ll just force myself to eat this cottage cheese and it will be fine!” False. That was definitely false. A lot of my go to favorite snacks were ones I just couldn’t stomach at all (including eggs which is a staple for me). My diet overall wasn’t terrible, but it definitely included more carbohydrates than normal and lots more bland foods. Thankfully Baby Vendetti likes apples, bananas, strawberries, clementines, watermelon, carrots, peanut butter, and Greek yogurt so even during the sickest days, I could still eat those. Since last week I’ve been feeling a lot better and am back to my normal super healthy diet which has me feeling much better over all! Here’s to hoping I stay feeling better!
7. Speaking of feeling so sick… I continued to use MyFitnessPal to track my food until week 10 of pregnancy when I just couldn’t handle thinking about food any more than I absolutely had to. I lost weight when I first got pregnant so I wanted to be sure I was getting enough calories plus I loved that I had such a long streak of logging my food into MyFitnessPal (it was well over a year). But alas, I just couldn’t do it anymore at week 10. Now that I’m feeling better, I want to start tracking again just to make sure that I’m getting a good number of calories plus making sure that I’m eating a balanced diet (I love how MyFitnessPal tells you about all the nutrients in your food, not just the calories).
Overall, I’m so thankful I had these habits in place before getting pregnant because otherwise I can guarantee you, there would be no way I would’ve started any healthy habits while feeling so miserable. But you know what has made it worth feeling so terrible? Knowing that Baby Vendetti is growing and healthy. Grow, baby, grow! Speaking of growing… wanna see a couple of pictures? 🙂
This was 11 weeks pregnant when I first started to show just a little. Such a sweet and emotional week in that way! Look at that sweet bump!
I’m sure many of you saw this yesterday on Instagram, but here I am this week at 13 weeks pregnant! Grow baby grow!
Any recommendations for health and fitness while pregnant? Either that you’ve experienced yourself or heard of?