Happy Valentine’s Day, my friends! I’ve been wanting biscuits lately so I finally whipped up a batch yesterday. I had forgotten just how easy biscuits are to make and just how delicious they are fresh from the oven. Mmm… warm biscuits! Yum! And because it’s Valentine’s… I made half the batch into heart-shapes. 🙂
Buttermilk Biscuits (recipe originally found here on MyRecipes)
2 1/2 cups self rising flour
1 stick butter
1 cup buttermilk
1. Preheat oven to 475.
2. Grate butter using large holes of a box grater. Toss together grated butter and flour in a medium bowl. Chill 10 minutes.
3. Make a well in center of mixture. Add buttermilk, and stir 15 times. Dough will be sticky.
4. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Lightly sprinkle flour over top of dough. Using a lightly floured rolling pin, roll dough into a 3/4-inch-thick rectangle (about 9 x 5 inches). Fold dough in half so short ends meet. Repeat rolling and folding process 4 more times.
5. Roll dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a 2 1/2 inch floured round cutter, reshaping scraps and flouring as needed.
6. Place dough rounds on greased cookie sheet or glass pan. Bake 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
If you are looking for a good old fashioned biscuit recipe – this is it!
Tonight we’ll be celebrating Valentine’s with our normal Tuesday night crew (for those who don’t know, we have eaten dinner with the same group of friends nearly every Tuesday night for the past 5 years). The guys are making dinner for the ladies and Christopher is in charge of veggies so I’m excited about that (he’s a great cook!). I’ll be sure to let you know how that goes later this week! 🙂